- Principals Report Week 5 Term 3
- Religious Education News
- Library News
- Veritas Awards
- BEST Awards
- Ride or Walk to School - Friday 13th August 2021
- Fathers Day Stall - Friday 3 September 2021
- Dates for Your Diary
- School Counselling Service
- Clothing Pool Open during School Hours
- Rosary Community Council 2021
- Lunch Time Activities at Rosary
- Extracurricular Activities at Rosary
- Rosary Rugby
- 2021 Term Dates
- Girls Programming Network - Sunday 15 August
- Parentline - Free counselling service
- Hand Washing Poster
- Coughing and Sneezing Etiquette Poster
- SZapp Download Instructions
Dear Parents and Friends,
We all had a fantastic time on Monday at the Super Hero Fun Day! The students looked fantastic in their costumes and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the jumping castles, the sausage sizzle and the fun activities on offer throughout the day. I told the students that I did not know where Mrs van der Sanden had got to but that Wonder Woman was taking over for the day! I also let them know that I had parked my invisible plane on the roof and that they would have to look very carefully as it becomes visible for a few seconds at a time only. Later in the day, several students let me know they had seen it ‘for real life’!
Mr Greg Walker, the incoming Principal, will be introduced to the community at the morning assembly this coming Friday, 13 August. Greg will then spend some time touring the school and visiting classes and meeting with the Executive Team. Parents are invited to join us at the morning assembly to welcome Greg to the school.
I take this opportunity to welcome the Wright family to the school with girls starting in Year 2 and Kindergarten. Their first day at Rosary was on the Super Hero Fun Day – what an exciting way to start! I hope that every day they spend at the school will be as wonderful as the first!
Next week is Wellbeing Week at school. It is a time when the school community focuses on physical and mental good health practices. During this period, students are released from homework tasks and staff are released from meetings. In this current climate, it is especially important to spend time focusing on personal wellbeing. I hope that Wellbeing Week will be enjoyed by families at home as well by all who are at school.
Car Park Safety
Drivers, please be aware that parking is not permitted along any red kerb on school grounds. I have noticed several cars parking in these locations and this prevents the safe flow of traffic in and out of the car park. The courts space has been measured and marked by traffic experts to account for vehicles turning and entering/exiting the parking bays to allow for safe passing.
School rule reminders
Long hair: any student with hair long enough to touch the shoulders must have their hair tied back.
Uniform: please ensure that your child is wearing the correct uniform and that they are not wearing the sports uniform on a regular uniform day. If your child is out of uniform, he/she needs to provide an explanatory note to the class teacher.
Coats: Navy, black or maroon parkas or coats may be worn in the winter months. Coloured parkas and coats are not an acceptable part of the school uniform.
Rugby and Netball jumpers/hoodies: These are not approved items of uniform and are not to be worn on school days.
Gloves and scarves: need be plain and in the school colours only and not a mixture of colours.
Hair accessories: Plain maroon, white, blue or black ribbons and bands may be worn.
Nail polish: is not permitted at school.
Chewing gum: absolutely unacceptable on school grounds at any time.
Technology on school grounds: students are not permitted to use any devices, including headphones, before or after school whilst on school grounds.
Thought for the Week:
“Only love can truly save the world.”
SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION
Please return the following by 27 August:
- Resource fee
- Registration Card and copy of Baptism certificate
- Parent and Sponsor letters
COMMITMENT MASS REMINDER
Candidates, please ensure that you attend a Mass throughout the month of August. Introduce yourself and hand your signed Commitment Card to Fr Mannes or Fr Raf after Mass.
Holy Rosary Mass times: Saturday 5pm or Sunday 8am, 10am and 5pm.
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
15 August 2021 - Year B
“The Almighty has done great things for me; the Lord has lifted up the lowly.”
Click on the link below to go to the readings and activities for this Sunday.
Peace and best wishes
Religious Education Coordinator
Bookweek is fast approaching (13 days to go) where we will be celebrating our love of literature and all things books!!!
Children are encouraged to come to school on Monday, August 23, dressed as a character from the book that they bring with them for the day. The dress-up, costume or clothing will relate to their book character. Students will share their favourite book with their peers/buddies over the course of the day. We will have a Bookweek Character Parade at 9.00am outside in the quad (weather permitting). Parents are invited to stay for the parade, following social distancing guidelines. If it does rain, parents will be unable to stay to watch, as we will need to relocate to the hall. We are happy to assist with any book needs prior to the day too.
Scholastic Bookfair will be held in Egypt this year...Monday to Thursday Aug 23-26. Please see front office or Library staff if any parents would like to 'shop' the Fair during the opening hours of 8.30am-4.00pm. All students will receive a flyer next week as a reminder. They will also visit the Book Fair during their weekly Library lesson. The Library benefits with 40% of sales being returned to us by means of 'free' books- so it's a win/win for all.
Thank you all in anticipation of what is always a highlight for our students every year!
Congratulations to the following students who received a Veritas Award :
Congratulations to the following students who received a BEST Award:
Friday 13th August
Rosary will AGAIN participate in the ACT Government’s Ride or Walk to School program this term. The program suggests that we all consider our transport habits and try to incorporate more walking or riding as part of a healthy, active way to get around. And although walking or riding all the way to school isn’t realistic for many of us, it’s quite easy to figure out how you can build a walk into your family’s daily routine.
You can teach your child the healthy habit of walking or riding more by:
- Walking or riding with them the whole way to school
- If they get the bus, walk past your usual stop and get on at the next stop
- If you have to drive, park the car a few blocks away from the school and walk the rest of the way.
Regular exercise like walking and riding with your child not only helps them (and you!) beat chronic problems like obesity, heart disease, behavioural and mental health issues and diabetes, it also gives you a great opportunity to teach your child safe ways to behave around roads and traffic.
Please join us on Friday this week by using your legs or wheels to get to school. Remember that helmets must be worn if your child is cycling or riding a scooter.
Some of the staff will be at the Watson shops ready for an 8:30am departure. Parents are welcome to walk with us. This is always a well-attended event and builds school and community spirit. We hope to see many children and parents arriving at school without their car!
We have been able to reinstate most of our events for the 2021 calendar year. However, due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation, some events may need to change or be conducted differently. If there are changes, we will advise you as soon as practicable.
- Ride or Walk to School - Friday 13th August (Watson shops 8:30am)
- Year 3/4 Cairo Assembly - postponed, new date TBA
- Year 3/4 Bangkok Assembly - Friday 20 August 2:30pm
- Book Week Parade - Monday 23rd August
- Kinder Health Checks - Monday 23rd August & Tuesday 24th August
- Book Fair- Monday 23rd August - Thursday 26 August
The school counsellor, Jessica O'Rourke, is available every Monday and until 1pm on Tuesdays.
You can refer your child for counselling by filling in a referral form available on Catholic Care’s website or follow this link: https://catholiccare.force.com/housing/s/school-referral-form
After you have filled out the referral form you will automatically be sent an email requesting your consent for your child to access the service. In the case of families where parents are separated, consent of both parents is normally required. If this is difficult for you please feel free to discuss with Jessica.
The Rosary Clothing Pool is open to families to purchase second hand uniform items for $5 per piece. Please note that currently only one family is allowed in the room at any one time and hand sanitisation is required upon entry and exit. A key is available from the front office to access the room during school hours for your convenience.
All new uniform items can be purchased from Personally Yours. They are located at 218 Gladstone St, Fyshwick ACT 2609 and can be contacted on 6280 4166.
The Rosary Community Council Representatives for 2021 are:
Should you wish to contact the council please email: email@example.com
For the information of parents, there are a number of activities that take place at lunch time across the week that you may like to encourage your child to be involved in. These provide an alternative to outside play:
- The library is open from Monday to Thursday for all grades.
- Aero Club takes place in the library Monday - Wednesdays for Years 4 - 6 members who have signed up (membership changes after several weeks with one small group at a time taking part).
- Drama Club will be held on Tuesdays at 1.10pm in Egypt for students in Years 2 - 6.
- Lego Club will be held on Wednesdays at 1:10pm in Rome for Years 1 and 2.
- Running Club will be held on Wednesdays at 1.10pm for Years 3 - 6 members who have signed up (parent permission required)
- Karaoke Club will be held on Thursdays at 1.10pm in Barcelona for all grades.
- Walking Club will be held on Fridays at 1.10pm for Years 3 - 6 members who have signed up (parent permission required)
There are many extracurricular activities available onsite for our Rosary Students. Please note all of these activities attract a fee and are delivered by external providers. Please see the timetable below for details:
- French Lessons - Monday 3.10pm - 4.25pm
- Tae Kwon-Do - Monday 6.30pm Children class / 7:30pm Adult class
- Mandarin Lessons - Tuesday 3.10pm - 4.25pm
- Chess Club - Tuesday 3.10pm - 4.30pm (Weeks 1 - 9)
- Zanshin Martial Arts - Tuesday 6.30pm Junior class / 7:30pm Senior class
- Artkids - Thursday 3.15pm - 5.15pm
- Italian Lessons - Friday 8:00am - 9:00am (beginner) and 3.10pm - 4.25pm
- Musicorp (various instruments) / Piano Lessons - Friday 8:20am and during class time throughout the day
Please contact the school if you require further information.
The school year is divided into four terms. Term dates for the year 2021 are as follows:
Term 1 (9 weeks) Monday 1 February - Thursday 1 April
Term 2 (10 weeks) Tuesday 20 April - Friday 25 June (Monday 19 April is a system wide Pupil Free Day)
Term 3 (10 weeks) Tuesday 13 July - Friday 17 September (Monday 12 July is a system wide Pupil Free Day)
Term 4 (11 weeks) Tuesday 5 October – Friday 17 December